Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Roma, Italia. Part 2.4 Trevi Fountain, Pantheon & Spanish Steps

We had seen so much already and the day wasn't anywhere close to over yet. There would be more walking in store for my feet. Wow! I'm not quite sure I expected this. It's a good thing that every step was worth it. What surprised me the most about Rome is that we'd be walking down a narrow little street, turn the corner and BAM!
romeend - 22
Something as magnificent as this would stare me in the face. I love that the Romans built the new city around old monuments. This huge fountain is crammed into a small square.
romeend - 17
The Trevi Fountain is gorgeous. I think it may have been my favorite part of Rome.
romeend - 26
romeend - 21
romeend - 20
romeend - 19
We threw a few Euro in and made a wish for a safe return to Rome.
We had free time at this point and were in great need of some gelato. I tried limon and absolutely loved it! It was so refreshing.
romeend - 18
We walked to the Pantheon next. This monument is GIGANTIC!
romeend - 14
The rotunda is pretty dang big. This is the ceiling.
romeend - 24
romeend - 13
romeend - 15
This is the ceiling as well. The hole that you see in the roof is open...there is no glass. I LOVE that this bird flew over just as I snapped this image.
romeend - 16
romeend - 25
This is the face of a man who has had his picture taken a heck of a lot in the last four days. Doesn't he know there's more to come?
Since we were so close, we walked back through the Piazza Navona - the same square as yesterday. I couldn't grow tired of this place. I love the gelato here and really enjoy people watching.
romeend - 12
Sant' Agnese in Agone with the Fountain of the Four Rivers obelisk in front of it.
romeend - 7
romeend - 9
The Fountain of the Four Rivers.
romeend - 5
romeend - 6
romeend - 8
romeend - 10
Sant' Agnese in Agone
romeend - 11
This window drew me in both days. A little different angle this time.
As if I wasn't already tired, our last stop of the day would be the Spanish Steps. I was definitely dreading them, and swore that I wouldn't walk to the top of them.
romeend - 3
The Piazza di Spagna
romeend - 2
There they are! There are 138 steps.
romeend - 4
Daniel wouldn't leave me at the bottom so off we went! I successfully made it to the top. We walked around a little bit, took some pictures and then sat and watched the people for about an hour before dinner time.
romeend - 1
A view from the top!
romeend - 23
Lovely! Our day in Rome was so wonderful. It is certainly my new favorite place! There is no way at all to avoid all the walking so we just powered through. Dinner couldn't have come at a better time. We were all starving after such a long day! We had a green salad with penne pasta in a pesto sauce with chicken and peas. Yummy!
Tomorrow we head to Orvieto and Florence and we're so excited to see these cities!

No comments: