Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Orvieto, Italy.

On our way to Florence, we stopped midmorning in Orvieto. I could hear Denise in the front seat, telling Rick that he'd really love this little community. Honestly, I think we all did. There wasn't anything not to like. After being in midst of the busyness of Rome, it was nice to escape to an off-the-beaten-path type town. We unloaded the bus and took a little cable car to the top of the hill.
orvieto - 27
Florence, here we come!
orvieto - 32
orvieto - 31
On the cable car...up the hill we go.
orvieto - 11
We're here! Love my city sidewalk signs.
orvieto - 3
I hate to say it, but I have absolutely no idea what this place is called. And, I'm ashamed to say that I'm not going to spend any more time looking it up. We walked around the grounds and found it beautiful!
orvieto - 4
It was made of a special red clay/dirt.
orvieto - 30
This gave it its look.
orvieto - 8
Lots of green in Orvieto!
orvieto - 9
Lovely!
It was on this day that we noticed how freakin' hilarious the Denver crew was, and that they were having an awesome time together. NO ONE was as wild, crazy and fun as them sooooo we kind of forced ourselves upon them and hoped they'd like us enough to adopt us into their group.
orvieto - 6
We thought he was normal...
orvieto - 7
but this changed our minds! Rick showed his belly and Denise kissed me all in a matter of minutes. Gosh, how I love them!
orvieto - 33
Our funny Rachel-girl! Who poses like this while they take a photo? We laughed our butt off at her for the remainder of the trip. She livens things up!
orvieto - 5
I LOVE this picture of my sweet husband. He's a cutie.
orvieto - 10
Kisses in Orvieto!
orvieto - 28
The child in him had been DYING to come out for about five days.
orvieto - 29
Finally set free!
orvieto - 12
From there we walked further uphill to the cathedral.
orvieto - 13
Denver team meeting before lunch. This is before we were adopted.
orvieto - 15
The cathedral of Orvieto...astounding!
orvieto - 16
orvieto - 14
orvieto - 21
orvieto - 18
Daniel, Bridgett, Katie, Denise, Colleen and me.
orvieto - 19
A different take on the Pieta we saw in St. Peters.
orvieto - 17
Stained glass windows.
orvieto - 20
And one of marble.
orvieto - 23
orvieto - 22
orvieto - 34
This photo is stolen from Rick's facebook album. :/ We ate lunch in front of this giant cathedral. I had a salame sandwich that was yummy! With just a little time to kill we walked around the town.
orvieto - 2
This beauty was my favorite porch!
orvieto - 25
Tristan insisted that we see this castle. :) We were glad we did.
orvieto - 24
There's my cute backpack carrier! We met back at the cathedral before heading for the bus.
orvieto - 26
From the bus, we could see where we'd just been. Orvieto was quiet and relaxing and peaceful.
orvieto - 1
Driving through Italy. We'll be in Florence in just a few hours.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hey girl, Italy looked amazing! I spent NYEve there in 1996...ouch, long time ago. But I loved Florence. We stayed in a little b&b in the hills outside the city and rang in the new year with the lights of Florence and noise below...while we enjoyed the peace and quiet. I'm so glad you guys had a great trip!!!