Monday, February 4, 2008

Fish Tales

Guess what, ya'll...Daniel's blogging this story! Enjoy.

We had been wade fishing all morning and hadn't had any luck so we decided to try drifting in the bay. It was probably about 1:00 or so and I'd just started throwing a plastic lure when I felt a hit. I wasn't sure if I'd hit bottom and was caught on an oyster reef or if I had a fish. I began to reel in my line and just about the time I was expecting to see my lure in the water, I saw the line on my reel start to disappear quickly. The fish took about 45 yards of my line and then stopped. I started to slowly reel him in again. This time I was able to get him within about 20 yards of the boat before he took off again, taking the majority of my line with him. I panicked thinking that he'd take all my line and I would lose him! I had Dad fire up the boat and we made our way over to where the beast had stopped. I continued to reel in, expecting to see the other end of my line. Since it'd been about 10 minutes and we still hadn' seen a fin or tail, we decided that I'd snagged a sting ray. They rarely come to the surface when you have them hooked. Apparently this guy wanted to play a game of chase because Dad had to start the boat up about 5 or 6 more times so I wouldn't lose all the line on my reel. Finally, after a 20 minute fight, I saw a fin! On the second attempt, we netted him and I laid eyes on the biggest fish I've ever caught! He measured 37" and weighed in at about 30lbs. WOAH! Look at this guy:

Lurking near the surface-
Finally netted him-
Holy smokes!
The beast: A Black Drum

1 comment:

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

Oh my gracious! That is a GINORMOUS fish. I admire your determination to keep going.

I also like that Daniel is blogging. How fun!

You two are precious!
love ya.