Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Aggie Girl

15 years ago, late at night, I saw a black dog walk across the street dragging a chain. When I opened the door to my grandmother's van and called to her, she came right to me and got in. She was terrified and hid under my parents bed. She clawed/chewed off the trim of the utility room doorway the first night she slept in our house. We tried to return her to her owner, but no one claimed her. She became our black dog, our Aggie girl. For years she sat under the oak tree and ran back and forth to the garage. We threw a tennis ball to her over and over. She loved tennis balls! Her teeth wore down from all the chewing. Once a fence was built, Aggie gained a friend -- the big, block headed Scooby. At first they didn't like one another, but after living together for close to a decade I'd say they grew on one another. The two never strayed far from one another. Three years ago, two little girls were added to the bunch. Bell and Baby, the blue eyed girls gave Aggie hell. And did she ever give it back! They ran and jumped and chewed on one another all the time...Aggie would let them know when she'd had enough. Aggie has wolfed down many a bowl of chow, chewed through almost every toy she's ever had -- basketballs, footballs, tennis balls...only the tire has sustained without damage. Last year's vet trip checkup delivered bad news - cancer. We didn't know how long she'd live. 15 is pretty good for a dog. Recently, Aggie developed a cough and was treated for fluid on her lungs. When I took a moment to hang around in the yard, I noticed that she was moving slower. She wasn't herself. When Dad was transferred to Lubbock, I grew afraid that she'd die while he was away. A few weeks ago, I sat with Aggie and fed her by hand. My girl was blind, nearly deaf, toothless, full of cancer and coughs. But we sat and tears poured down my face as I said my goodbye. I didn't want to regret not stopping by the house. I didn't want to take life for granted, to take advantage of the day that was given to me. Aggie licked me and we reassured one another that it would be OKAY for her to go. I reminded her of all the green tennis balls, the path she'd run around the tree, and that 'All Dogs Go To Heaven'. Daddy came home last weekend to spend Easter with the family. I stopped by Thursday after school. When I stepped into the garage I saw her lying there, breathing hard. I fell over her and let my tears fall onto her face. I pledged my love and walked away. Friday, Daddy dug a grave. He and our black dog took one last truck ride together ( I remember how she used to ride in the front with me and lick the AC vents ). Today, there's one more Aggie in Dog Heaven.
aggie3
Thursday afternoon as I said goodbye.
aggie2
aggie4
I made this for Daddy 2 years ago. These are all his girls and boys. Ags, Scooby (the red dog), Bell ( the Australian Shepherd), Baby (the white/brindle dog), and his fluffy Honey .
aggie1
I love you black dog!

5 comments:

plumtreestudios said...

My heart is with you. I do believe she has a place in heaven. Hugs, Patricia

Christy said...

aww your post made me cry =(. Sorry for your lost such a pretty dog.

Brandi Tejeda said...

((Hugs)) I need to go re-apply my makeup now...pregnant gals and sad sad stories dont mix well. I will be thinking of her all day.

Amanda Key said...

I am sitting here crying. I feel your pain and sorry you and your family are experiencing this. A couple of years ago we had the same experience with my childhood dalmatian.
I am very sorry Sarah.

Love you!

Lulu's Journey said...

My heart is breaking for you. I have two chocolate labs that are my babies. My oldest is 12 yo and I'm getting so scared that I may lose him soon. He is the biggest baby and such a mommas boy. Although Marley and Me was a good movie, and can't help but think about the day that will come. Just know that he is watching down over you.