Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Scooby Doo. I love you.

This is a hard post to write. Just a few months ago, I talked about my Aggie Girl and how she'd joined all the other dogs in Heaven. Today, I was on my way to Navasota and Dad mentioned that it may be Scooby's time to join his Aggie girl. He's just as old as Ag and has been having a hard time moving. His arthritis has kicked up a notch and he just hasn't had an appetite. I've tried feeding him by hand, adding bacon grease to his food and nothing seems to work. He just lies there and looks at me with those big brown eyes. Knowing I might never have another chance, I went home to see my Scooby. I'll never forget the day Daddy and I drove out to the country to get him....the result of an accidental encounter between a Lab/Rott mix and Curr dog. Scooby was like no other animal I'd seen. He lived on a farm and was so friendly that he discouraged the working dogs from doing their job. Fortunately for us, and for Aggie too, Scoobs needed a new home. At first, Aggie didn't like the idea of another dog, a male dog, in her space. She behaved quite rudely when we introduced them, but after learning that he wasn't going anywhere they settled in and became old friends. Scooby has been the easiest, most laid back dog ever. He let Ags run the show and never crossed her. She was the boss. He was just content to lay in the dirt nearby. My favorite thing about Scooby is his big block head and the way he just can't stand for you to be near him without rubbing his ears. He wasn't shy about demanding attention and would paw at your leg or poke you with his nose until you took the time to rub his redness. When the little girls -- Bell and Baby -- came along, he accepted them easily and continued to enjoy being the only boy in the bunch. They pestered the old man and we'd often see them running along with Scoob's leg in their mouth. He never said no. Scooby and the girls...just the way he liked it. Later this afternoon, Daddy drove Scooby to the vet and he went to sleep. He now lies within the dog pen next to his best friend Aggie. It's just the blue eyed girls and my Honey girl that are left. Whew, tough. It feels silly to cry so hard over a dog, but the love they add to our lives is immeasurable.
scooby - 5
scooby - 4
scooby - 3
scooby - 2
scooby - 1
There's that block head that I love. Love you, old man Scoob!

No comments: