Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sweet Grandma Sue

Last week, my grandmother was admitted to the hospital. Again. Since her liver transplant over a year ago, she's been in and out of the hospital for a multitude of appointments. I wish that were all. Months after her successful transplant, doctors detected cancer. Chemo and radiation followed, along with a number of its side effects. It's made for a long year. Through it all, Grandma stood strong. She fought hard and remained faithful. Never have I met a woman of such astounding faith. She never doubted in the power of God's ability to heal her. She hoped and prayed for complete health, but rested in the comfort of someday seeing Jesus face to face.
For whatever reason, cancer isn't what took her to Heaven. The rest of her body was tired. For over 30 years, she'd been treated for a liver that wasn't functioning properly. Grandma had broken more bones than any woman I know. Resiliently, she would heal up and be right back at work. After her transplant, she glowed! There were a few months between the surgery and the cancer that seemed like perfection. At 70, she looked as good as she had at 55. I loved seeing her feel so good. Then came the battery of tests, needles, fluids, transfusions, machines...the loss of appetite and energy. Many days and nights were spent away from home, in the hospital, trying to give more life to her body. Early Sunday morning Grandma said a goodbye. Throughout the day, she visited with family. Her sisters left her side, promising to return. Monday evening, Ginger called and frantically asked me to meet her at the hospital. I wasn't sure what awaited me at the hospital. I'd lost count as to how many times I'd made this exact trip to see Grandma.

Now, I'm thankful for every moment I was able to see her smile on the other side of the hospital door. I'm grateful for the quiet conversation and the laughter we exchanged as we sat until she was able to finally go home. Little did we know that those moments would be valuable time we'd spend together. Once Daniel arrived at the hospital and took my hand, I made my way back to the ICU bed where my grandmother lay. For over a year, I'd been pleading with God to restore her to perfect health. We stood over her, whispered of our love to her, cried over her through the night. Around 5am, I watched as she took her last breath and went home to Jesus, perfectly healed. I sobbed as my grandfather professed his undying love for his wife of 43 years and promised her she wouldn't have to wait long for him. It broke my heart to see Ginger lose her mother, her friend. I stood closer to Daniel. I leaned into him for strength. I promised to love him deeper. I kissed my grandmother's face and thanked her for teaching me the love of adoption. I am so grateful to her for loving me as her own and for modeling to me what a christian woman and wife looks like. Grandma, you will be missed dearly. Our hearts will ache for you, but we will find comfort in knowing that we have the opportunity to see you again on our Heaven day. All my love, sweet lady.
grandma
Me with my grandparents -- December 2007.
grandma - 2
Grandma, radiant -- January 2007.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sweet Sarah, I'm so sorry for all the tragedy your family has experienced in recent history. I don't know how you manage to stay so strong through all of it. Keep leaning on that wonderful husband of yours! Love and miss you!

Alex