Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Challenge.Inspire.Encourage.

...Those were some of the first words from DavidJay's mouth. I've been thinking all day, trying to find the proper words to describe last night's experience. What I know is that I walked away challenged, inspired, encouraged, fulfilled, purposeful.
Let me be REAL: I haven't followed DJ's work nearly as long as I have Jasmine's. Jasmine took my breath away the moment I laid eyes on her blog and I've been hooked ever since. Meeting her has always been more dream than reality. It is Jasmine that drew me to David. She was the initial reason I signed up for the tour [sorry DJ]. Of course, I know who David Jay is. People talk about his magnificent photos, his forum and his innovation on a DAILY basis. He's a BIG deal in my line of work. Still, walking into last night's Free To Succeed Tour, I didn't feel like I knew DJ.

Brandi and I showed up for the tour over two hours early. The crew didn't need a whole lot of help because Crystal had everything lined out and Shyla was running it! The cool thing about that is that it gave us some time to meet new people and network! I love making new friends, especially when those people have a love similar to my own. Before we knew it, the moment had arrived. DJ and J* walked through the door...DJ slipped into the conference room and Jasmine walked straight up to me, shook my hand and started talking to me! Seriously, things like this don't happen everyday. I was so excited to meet one of my all-time favorite photographers. Jasmine is every bit as fun, funky, and friendly as I thought she'd be [oh, and she's GORGEOUS!]. She's every bit as successful as I dream to be.
Next thing I knew, David Jay was at my side, humbly thanking me for my willingness to help his crew setup. What he doesn't know is that I'd work for free for the rest of the tour! For REAL! DJ, you surprised me. I didn't know what to expect from you, but I can assure you that I was BLOWN AWAY. I guess I expected a loud, goofy guy [I'm sure that you can be]. I mean, I read about this high-maintenance, white sheets obsessed man that sleeps with a stuffed animal and instead, I see someone who is kind, caring, sincere and completely genuine. Your interest in my life/my work, your conversations with me, what you said to us as a group....wow, it changed my life. No, your words aren't magical. It's your intentions, your heart...your goodness shines through you. It is REMARKABLE. Now I feel like I know you. I feel like I am better because of you. I am honored to have met you. Thank you for being willing to challenge, inspire and encourage. Thank you for coming to Houston. Thank you for hanging out with us. Thank you for a late night bus tour, a super soft tshirt that I LOVE, and the most REAL hug a new friend has ever offered me.
I hope we can meet up again someday. I'll be sure to let you know when I'm in CA.
Be safe on your tour!
Real Grattitude,
Sarah

The Super Cool Tour Bus-
tour1
Ready To Help Out-
tour2
Look at all the people!
tour5
Miss Shyla [I LOVE HER!]
tour4
Mr. David Jay! Isn't he adorable?
tour3
The One and ONLY, Jasmine Star-
tour6
I HAD to wear my new shirt today
tour7
Can you find the hidden icons?
tour8
*I've re-read this a dozen times and I don't know that I did the tour crew justice.
Some things can only be felt.


These were taken by KennyKim-
Here I am in the front row!

And, here I am with my mouth open. THANKS KENNY!

3 comments:

spanki said...

it looks like a really fun time! too cool that you got to go and be so "up close and hands on"!!!

loragaige said...

What a sweet write up! I saw your comment on AP's page and just thought I'd say "hi"! :)

Anonymous said...

Ah... I'm jealous! You got a t-shirt?!? I was eyeing DJ's thinking I would pretty much love to have one ;). Thanks for saying "hey" on the blog. I wish we could have met in person that night... your post definitely did it justice. That was one of the best nights I have spent with any of photography's "greats". Let's stay in touch and try to meet up sometime!