Sunday, June 24, 2012

Parker's First Flight {Destin, Florida}

Today is one of my favorite memories with my sweet Parker. Crazy chaos, heat, delayed flights and late nights could have stressed me out and made me hate this entire experience. Instead I saw today as an adventure with my curious boy and we had fun making the most of it!

Around noon I checked our 1:57pm flight and saw that it was delayed an hour. I decided we'd arrive at the airport at 2pm for a 2:57pm flight. It took us a little longer than we'd hoped to get my suitcase, the stroller and the carseat unloaded and into the bag check area. I couldn't check in.The flight was closed. Tears filled my eyes as the guy across the counter explained to me that I should have arrived as if the flight hadn't been delayed. Really, with a one year old? No thanks. He made a few phone calls and they let me check my bags. Our flight was delayed another hour. We hugged and kissed Daddy Daniel and I got all emotional as if we'd never see him again. Not sure why. We're always coming and going and taking road trips and it never affects me at all. Daniel watched us get through security. Thankfully I was able to wear Parker in the Moby and walk through. There were a few extra wand scans and xrays and some testing of his milk but it was completely painless. I jugggled wearing my big boy and carrying my camera bag and huge purse stuffed with snacks. I'm sure the sight was comedic; every time I saw my reflection I laughed too. I approached the counter and was told our flight to Houston was full and that there was no way we'd make our connection to Destin. The flight out of San Antonio would be delayed several more hours before we would leave so my connection was changed and we wouldn't get to Florida until after 10pm. Parker and I walked and walked and walked around the SA airport. We looked at planes, played chase, bought a snack since he thought he wanted to eat another woman's yogurt, touched puppy dogs, tried on a stranger's hat and had two random people hold him. I was so touched by the kindness and patience shown to us. The crowd at our gate could have easily been annoyed by my wild and loudly curious boy. Instead they helped me keep him busy. We boarded our flight and found that we were sitting next to an Army Captain from Oregon. Parker made fast friends and they played the entire flight. Parker sat in this gentleman's lap and rearranged the velcro patches on his uniform. We quickly deboarded and headed for the tram since we needed to change terminals. My one track mind wanted to find our gate and let Parker walk around a little before getting on another plane. Once settled in at the gate, Parker started saying "more, more" as he saw people's food. This is his way of saying he's hungry. I had completely forgotten about dinner! We had snacks but he needed something a little more filling. A stranger that we'd made small talk with for a few minutes offered to walk all the way back to the main terminal to get us chicken nuggets and fries. I could have cried! It meant so much to me that I didn't have to pack Parker, my camera backpack and my huge purse all the way across the airport again. I LOVE it when people show kindness to others and will absolutely be looking for my own opportunity to pay it forward. This plane was small so Parker and I got to walk out of the terminal and onto the plane. My boy was mesmerized. We had two seats behind the bulkhead all to ourselves and were grateful for the extra room. Parker peered out the window like a big boy and stood/sat on the floor playing for most of the trip. Ten minutes before decent he fell asleep as I hummed to him. It's seriously been so long since I held my sleeping snuggly boy. I knew we'd soon be getting off the plane and our beach time in Florida would begin so I pulled Parker closer to me and whispered  I love you's into his ear. Today was a favorite and I'll always treasure the memory of our Mommy-son adventure.
parkerjune12 -_160

parkerjune12 -_161

parkerjune12 -_162
parkerjune12 -_163
parkerjune12 -_164
parkerjune12 -_166
parkerjune12 -_165

No comments: