Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Parker Wilson

Sweet Parker,
This is the story of how we came to meet you.

     Originally, Daddy was supposed to golf today. It was my first day off of work. I thought we'd potentially have a few days together, but based on the last OB appointment, I knew that I should go to College Station prepared to come home with my sweet baby. Daddy and I packed, loaded the car, dropped the puppy girls off in Navasota and went in for my 39 week check up. After all the walking at Relay For Life and standing at the finish line for the BP MS 150, I still had not progressed enough to have my water broken. I wasn't in a big rush to get you here, but I did want to try and have you before Easter weekend so that Dr. Smith could deliver you. At the appointment, Dr. Smith decided he wanted to admit me to the hospital that evening, so Daddy and I went on a final dinner date, just the two of us, to Cheddar's. Then just to kill time, we stopped by the Ford dealership to test drive the 2011 Explorer. We loved it! Hopefully you and I will be riding in one before too long.
     A little after 5:30pm, we went to the ER at CSMC to check in, then were off to Labor and Delivery. Two overly energetic nurses had me gowned and in the hospital bed hooked up to iv's, and fetal and toco monitors within minutes. Dr. Smith was already there so he came in and placed the cervidil on my cervix and tucked me in for the night. Mom, Han and Bek came to visit and brought us dinner. With nothing to do, Daddy and I surfed the internet and then tried to get some sleep. It wouldn't be too hard for me...I had 10mg of Ambien knock me out.
     Dr. Smith came by around 6:30am, before his office opened to see if I'd made any progress. He removed the cervidil and determined that he would be able to break my water. A little painful, I cried when my water broke! Clearly, I'd only progressed a little bit. My nurses put me on pitocin and I knew I'd spend the day waiting. Dr. Smith kindly ordered my epidural. Best thing ever! No regrets to getting the drugs. The process wasn't too painful and would be totally worth it. Most of the morning and early afternoon was spent hanging out and visiting with family and friends who checked on me throughout the day. Daddy Daniel never left my side! He was so so sweet all day, a great source of encouragement and strength for Mama. I was really groggy from the sleeping pills they'd given me the night before so I rested as much as I could in preparation for delivering you. As I came in and out of a light sleep, I spent the day in prayer. All I wanted for us was a smooth, easy delivery. I had no idea that God would be so faithful to deliver just that. Praise Him! I was checked on throughout the day and remember being dilated to a 3, 4/5, 6 (this is when my epidural backed out and I had to order a 2nd one) and then when Dr. Smith came by after 5pm, I was around a 7/8. The pitocin was ramped up and I quickly began to feel more pressure. Miss Dorothy had me practice push to get you to come under my pelvic bone. Within fifteen minutes, Dr. Smith was called and in the delivery room with us. The rest of the evening and night is a blur. I concentrated so intently on pushing and you were out in under 20 minutes. Dr. Smith stimulated and suctioned you...and then you cried! What a sweet sound. My eyes filled with tears that I was unable to hold back. You were cleaned off and I gave you kisses before your nurse took you to the warmer to assess you. Because of the position you'd been in all day, I'll never forget the shape of your head! The first thing Daddy said to me was " he has your fingers and toes "! Sweet boy, you are absolutely perfect. I have loved you since the moment I knew you existed, but seeing you made me fall more in love than I knew I could. Once I was taken care of, they finally brought you to me. Daddy and I spent some time all alone with you, before the grandparents and aunts came in. We are in awe.
     The room quickly filled with visitors, all eager to hold you, kiss you, look at you. Mama had a coke from McDonalds while you were passed from one eager person to another. Everyone loves you to pieces. I placed you on my chest before they took you to the nursery and from that very moment, you've been a wonderful nurser. The entire family followed you to the nursery to watch you get a bath. You were so sweet and didn't cry much at all. We waited for a few hours before being moved to our postpartum room and once there still had to wait to get you in our room. I was exhausted, but I couldn't wait to have more time alone with you and also wanted to try and feed you before I went to sleep.
    I'll never forget our first few quiet moments as a family of three. Daddy and I got the camera out and just sat and stared at you. You were so alert and loved being talked to. I think Daddy and I both fell asleep knowing that all the world was right.
parker - 0
One final picture of you in my belly!
parker - 2
Perfection.
parker - 3
So awake and alert just a few hours after your birth.
parker - 4
Daddy loves you so much!
parker - 1
Mommy is tired, but oh so happy!

Today's Events:
Born at 7:16 pm
Weight: 7 pounds 5 ounces
Length: 19 3/4 inches

No comments: